Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chinese Fondue @ Tasty Pot BBQ & Steamboat Buffet

Chinese Fondue? This is the first time that I have ever heard of people using the word ' Chinese Fondue' to describe steamboat. Said so in Wikipedia!

Anyhow, I got my replacement leave on Monday as I have been outlet visiting on Sunday. So I wanted to have some alone time with Daryl so we started to planing for dinner (We are the worst decision makers ever!). From Bak Kut Teh --> Kalamazoo --> Barbq Plaza --> Crabs ---> Tasty Pot, yeah, we are that bad!

You might probably be thinking that sometime's wrong with this girl! Who dressed up so nicely for steamboat!
Just to clarify, it's just because we are going shopping to Sunway later. Lol. 

I have heard of Tasty Pot many times from Daryl as he came here before about 2 years ago. There are many blog reviews and apparently there are many celebrities who dine here as well! They are really doing quite well seeing that they are located at Sunway Mentari, which I named it as the Steamboat Street. You can see so many steamboat restaurants along the way, I really don't understand how they can even survive competing with each other! 

Simon Yam (任达华) came here before too! 

It's a bit pricey for steamboat, but if the ingredients are fresh and the soup is nice, why not?
This is the only time where I wish I am 89cm and below! >.<

Tasty Pot are actually famous for inventing the Soya Soup and Curry Soya Soup. I am at awe when I was choosing the broth, after much considerations I decided to try the plain chicken soup and the curry soya soup. Surprisingly the Curry Soya Soup tasted quite nice considering they replaced santan with Soya, however I felt that it's not thick enough and coagulates when it's boiled for too long. But definitely worth a try!
 
There are a variety of sauces to choose from as well. 


Different types of balls (Don't take too much as it will make you full!)

Veggie is a must too! We left the broccoli too long in the soup while we are eating the crab so in the end the broccoli literally MELTED in our mouth! Lol.

My favorites! I was quite sad though that they did not serve scallops!

It's a weird combination: seaweed, fish cutlet and squid.

This is why we are here for! Their crabs are really big and with lots of crab meat, not to mentioned it's fresh! Usually the steamboat restaurants will served 'flower crab' so it's quite hard to eat.  We was the first customers so we got to choose the big fleshy pincers! 
 
The results..tadaaaa!


This crab mallet is for general use but it's left outside with some flies flying around, so I felt that it's a bit unhygienic. So before we cracked open the crabs, we put some tissues on the board first!
 
I love crabs but I am so lazy to eat it! So my darling help me to pick out all the flesh and put in a bowl for me.

 
Besides steamboat, they also have some cooked food. Their chicken wings are really wow! I really like the sauce though I have no idea what is it. I know some said that it can't be compared to Yuen's chicken wing but I haven't tried Yuen's so no comment about this!


There's also sausage skewers which I do hope that it's hot, but sadly it's not. 

I am surprised that they have this as you don't often see these in a steamboat restaurant. Both are my favorites: Sweet potato and Tapioca! 

They also have a grill and roast section but it started quite late which is about 7.30pm. The guy was so kind as he told me that I shouldn't eat so full so that I can stuff myself with their famous roasted lamb! They also have BBQ crabs, lala, and fish but as we were so full, we didn't stay for that! 

Here are the famous roasted lamb, according to Daryl, it was quite nice but he was too full to enjoy it!

There are also 8 types of ice creams available and they also served fruits as dessert.

 Looking at these, I felt like I have put on 5 kg! Don't waste the food though as they will charge you RM10.00 per 100 grams!

The drinks were really expensive though and they don't state it in their menu! I ordered Chrysanthemum tea and it costs me freaking RM4! The service was quite bad as it took forever for them to add the soup or if you  call them for anything. Usually I don't mind for a self service steamboat buffet but they charged service tax into the bill so I expect some better service! Overall, I guessed it's worth it and we have devised a plan if we were ever to visit there again, which is to focus on the crabs, chicken wings and roasted lamb!

So Chinese fondue, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment