First time going off on a trip with my colleagues and I seriously have no idea that we are gonna be eating every few hours! Although I have been to Penang for a couple of time but never been with such a crazy bunch of eaters!
We started off from Subang HQ and was talking and joking all the way to
Ipoh! I was actually tired as I slept quite late the day before but I
didn't even sleep a wink on the way! That proves how talkative and fun
we were!
A supposed 'business' trip will definitely turns out to be a 'makan' trip if leaded by my boss, Susan! And seriously, she drove so slow on the highway we were even volunteering to drive! But hey, at least our folks know we are definitely safe! Lol.
Me and Sue Fin, new staff of marketing department and also the seat belt officer! Never fail to remind us over and over again that we need to wear our seatbelt even though we are at the back seat!
Our first stop: Tapah Rest House! Can't imagine that there's even good stuff selling in the rest house. As for this, Susan said that their guavas are the best and I gotta say I agreed to it!
After a few more toilet breaks, we finally reach Ipoh to have our dim sum. I am pretty sure you had dim sum at this restaurant as it seemed to be the famous ones among all others. But I have been told that another dim sum restaurant next to it is actually nicer, but older decor. So I must definitely go there the next time!
The famous drive-through Tafufah! It's a really small bowl which costs about RM0.90 per bowl but the best part is that you get to enjoy it in your car with cool air! The tafufah is really soft and nice but the sugar syrup is too sweet!
We also stopped by this lovely place, Indulgence. It's something similiar as Levain, though the interior design is nicer but the food in Levain still looks more appetizing! Check out their website here.
Sue Fin introduced us to this hawker stall near Tesco Perak for a red bean smoothie. According to her, it's nicer and thicker if we take away!
Finally we are moving on! Another of Susan's great idea and we took ferry rides to Penang! It took us even longer than we expected and one time of this ride is more than enough!
After site visiting, we were so tired till we decided not to walk anymore and just rest! The guys bought us back some 'apong balik' (that's not the name but I can't remember). There's banana and corn in it and we really think that it's absolutely disgusting!
We started a game right after we told our boss we are tired! Shh..
We stayed at 1926 Heritage Hotel but I don't really like it there. It has a old Malaccan feel and have wooden floors. If you are up for old town feel, do visit here then.
We went for dinner in those hawkers stall near Sunway road. I didn't get to take any picture as when I am back on my food searching trip, everyone already start digging in! I have been there twice but the food to me is just normal. After that, we went to Straits Quay and though I have never been there before but I do think that the scenery is so nice!
All the boats which I wished they were mine!
There's a famous Charlie Brown Cafe in Straits Quay, but since I am not a Snoopy fan, or I should say most of us are not, so we just snapped crazily away!
Me and Suefin, that girl sure loves to take pictures and photogenic in every shot too!
The whole marketing team with the only guy for us to bully!
As you can see from my Shimino Japanese Crepes post, crepes are absolutely my favorite! A direct quote from Jamie: "Your trip in Penang would never be complete if you had not been to this place and had their crepe!" What a statement, and thus we waited for at least 30 minutes for this legendary crepes. The decoration is simple and have a old authentic feel to it. Some inconsiderate people just can't see that people are lining up and just sit down there to their leisure, which just so pissed me off!
Anyway, after waiting for a table for half an hour, we waited for another half an hour for our food to come. To be honest, I don't see what's the rave about though it might be my weariness that clouds my judgement but it is just not up to my expectations. If you would like to visit them, check out their page here.
Double Berries
Traffic Lights
Mango Cup
After a emotional and weary event, we made our way to the famous cendol in Penang. Look at the crowd queuing up! It's simply crazy!
The cendol is just so-so to me and I don't see what is so special about it! Malacca's cendol is so much nicer! However, it is a nice thirst quencher for sure!
As we don't want to queue up with the crowd, we went in to a shop next to the cendol stall and order their Chay Kuew Teow. It was supposed to duck egg but the owner heard wrongly so here we are.
After that we went to a sort of market place which is same row as the famous cendol, where they sell assorted pickles and there's like more than 20 stalls selling the exact same thing! I bought 1kg of the yellow mango jeruk and Susan bought around 3-4kg of them!
That's the shop's name where we bought our pickled mangoes. I gotta say it's quite good and so if you guys were there and you have no idea which stall to choose from, do try them! They charge about RM14 per kg and they did not weigh together with the syrup, so definitely a plus point for them!
As Susan received news from someone saying that their charcoal bread here is delicious, so we search high and low (Same row as cendol as well) for this place, and we were so disappointed by it! The workers there were rude and the bread is not even that nice, we can't even finish it!
Now, I sounded like I am not having fun at all in Penang or had any good stuff right? Well, here comes my best experience in Penang! It's by chance that we are here and I am so gonna recommend this to others! So another blog post specially for this is coming up!
Lastly and finally, adding another kg to be brought back to Subang, we left Penang! Seriously, I have not ate this much since I don't know when! Working with Susan might be fun but I am pretty sure I will become fatter!
Overall, it might not a be a satisfying food trip but it's really fun to hang out with my colleagues and my boss! I bet she feels younger hanging out with us as well! (Oops!) Can't wait for a second trip and I am guessing and hoping to be Malacca!
I lup u....lup ur post >.<
ReplyDeleteWill never let u know who am i....
Noty me ~