Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pink Ribbons Breast Cancer Awareness: Woopz Boobs Campaign

Do you ladies know that October is the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month? Sadly, I am ashamed to admit that, I had no idea at all!

Sure, I have heard and seen of the pink ribbons and people posting on Facebook asking to re-post if you care. I have never really taken any notice of any of this until recently when I saw Woopz Bikinis & Beachwear are actually having this Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign and to be honest, part of the credit also goes to Fly FM which repeatedly share out about this awareness as well.


Do you know that breast cancer is actually the No. 1 cause of cancer deaths for women all around Malaysia? It doesn't matter that you are
A    (Almost) 

B    (Barely there)
C    (Can't Complain)
D    (Damn)
DD (Double Damn)
E    (Enormous)
F    (Fake) cup size boobs, all of us stands an equal risk in getting breast cancer!

Recently I had a friend who found out that she had few lumps on her breast (Actually it's her boyfriend who found out so I won't elaborate more on this! Lol) and she went to consult the doctor immediately. Luckily for her, it's nothing serious and it's not dangerous at all but she decided to do the surgery anyway.

This actually reminds all of us that it's really important that even if you are lazy to go for an examination in the clinic, we should always conduct a self examination on our breasts from time to time!



I had also found some tips from this website, where they also provide some great tips on how to check for breast cancer. 


1) Undress -> Remove bra -> Look into mirror -> Arms relaxed by side ----> Check for changes in size, shape, discoloration, skin texture of both breasts.



2) Raise both hands up ----> Look for sores, dimpling or puckering of skin around both breasts. 
    Check position of nipples ----> Ensure they are not sideways or inverted
    Gently squeeze your nipple with forefinger and thumb ----> Check for discharge

3) Lie down -> Place right hand (index finger,middle finger and ring finger keeping it flat and together) on your left breast-> press against skin in a circular motion----> Feel for lumps or abnormalities around the circumference of your bosom (from collarbone moving to the top of abdomen, and from armpit to cleavages)


*Repeat steps above using left hand on right breast*

4) Move fingers up and down vertically -> alternate the pressure
    Skin and tissue just beneath the breasts -----> Light pressure
    Tissue in the middle of the breasts -----> Medium pressure
    Deep tissues under the armpits -----> Firm pressure
 
Tips: Best to do it in the shower when skin is wet and slippery.




Hope you ladies will start taking this seriously as I am sure all of us do love our boobs!  Do share this around with your female friends and family and guys, you can always help your girlfriend to do the breast check as well! Don't regret when it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment