Warning: There are parts in this post containing a high level usage of the word 'smurf'. Do not continue read this if you cant smurf it!
I was really looking forward to watch The Smurfs and had been bugging Daryl to accompany me to watch it on screen for weeks. I feel so sorry now for forcing him to watch it with me! We watched it at GSC Summit and we were late for the first few minutes of the show. But it doesn't take a smurf to figure out what's the story is all about anyway!
Official movie synopsis: The Smurfs make their first 3D trip to the big screen in Columbia Pictures'/Sony Pictures Animation's hybrid live-action and animated family comedy, The Smurfs. When the evil wizard Gargamel chases the Smurfs out of their village, they're forced through a portal, out of their world and into ours, landing in the middle of New York's Central Park. Just three apples high and stuck in the Big Apple, the Smurfs must find a way to get back to their village before Gargamel tracks them down. -- (C) Sony Pictures
Genre: Action & Adventure, Animation,Science Fiction & Fantasy, Comedy
Cast: Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays, Sofia Vergara, Hank Azaria
Voice: Jonanthan Winters, Katy Perry, Fred Armisen, Alan Cumming, Anton Yelchin, George Lopez.
I was really looking forward to watch The Smurfs and had been bugging Daryl to accompany me to watch it on screen for weeks. I feel so sorry now for forcing him to watch it with me! We watched it at GSC Summit and we were late for the first few minutes of the show. But it doesn't take a smurf to figure out what's the story is all about anyway!
Official movie synopsis: The Smurfs make their first 3D trip to the big screen in Columbia Pictures'/Sony Pictures Animation's hybrid live-action and animated family comedy, The Smurfs. When the evil wizard Gargamel chases the Smurfs out of their village, they're forced through a portal, out of their world and into ours, landing in the middle of New York's Central Park. Just three apples high and stuck in the Big Apple, the Smurfs must find a way to get back to their village before Gargamel tracks them down. -- (C) Sony Pictures
Genre: Action & Adventure, Animation,Science Fiction & Fantasy, Comedy
Cast: Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays, Sofia Vergara, Hank Azaria
Voice: Jonanthan Winters, Katy Perry, Fred Armisen, Alan Cumming, Anton Yelchin, George Lopez.
A poster of The Smurfs.
Apparently, The Smurfs had already been around for more than 20 years and it was supposedly to be quite a hit back at the 1980s. And now, the cute little blue icons have been brought back to the spotlight and even have a movie made out of it based on the comic books by Belgian creator, Peyo. Even though I was initially crazy about Smurfs but I never knew that they actually existed since 1980s!
Just to let you guys see how it looks like back in the old days.
I barely laughed throughout the whole movie as all the funny parts of the movie are already shown in the trailers. I somehow felt that the characters in the movie just can't connect with the real live actors and they are just not convincing enough! The Smurfs are cute by themselves but once they start to interacts with the real life cast, the whole scene will then be awkward and just bad. Even though there are touched moments whether it is between Neil Patrick Harris with the Papa Smurf or between the couples, I really wasn't even touched at all. This is bad considering that my tears usually will roll down uncontrollably during the touching moments of a movie even though it is just an animation!
I really despise the Gargamel character and I really do think that Hank Azaria are doing poor job out of it. It is all too overly done with poor attempts to be cartoonish and it makes the whole movie looks stupid. Perhaps that's the results they are looking for, but as for me, I just cant stand the appearance and the way of talking of Gargamel in the movie!
As expected, most of the nouns and verbs were being replaced by the word "smurf" in the movie which could be funny at times. It became tiring and expected after some times though I had to admit that this is the highlight of the movie. There's also this annoying yet addicting song ("la-la, la-la-la") of The Smurfs that is just stuck inside your head even after the movie! One of my friends actually start singing it while we are having our dinner!
Overall, I think this movie are probably only suitable for kids (really really young kids) and I don't even think that this can be considered as a great family movie as the adults are most probably will be suffering throughout the movie.
Here are some of the reviews about The Smurfs:
Review 1
Review 2
Review 3
So peeps, have you smurfed? Smurf here and let me know what do you think of The Smurf! Do you smurfingly love them or it just smurfed you in the face like what it smurfed to me?
Smurf Away!
PS: I know the last part is smurfingly annoying! LOL.


No comments:
Post a Comment